Monday, April 16, 2007

Tax Joke

Expect to see more stupid comments like this one from Lefties for the next week:

I just paid my taxes, and I have to say, I always take pride when I do so. I don't like having less money to spend, of course, and the complexity of the process is really upsetting. But I am proud to pay for democracy, and I feel when I do send money to the DC Treasurer and the US Treasury that that is what I am doing. The right-wing likes to pretend as if taxes are a burden instead of the price of democracy. And I suppose, if you hate democracy, as the right-wing does, then taxes are the price for paying for something you really don't want. Personally, I find banking fees, high cable and internet charges, health care costs, and credit card hidden charges much more abrasive than taxes, because with those I'm just being ripped off to pay for someone's summer home.

I guess Stoller volunteers to pay taxes and is forced by law to pay banking fees, cable and internet charges, health care costs, and credit card charges.

It's an interesting viewpoint. He volunteers to use the banking system, cable and internet services, the health care system and his credit cards, but somehow those aren't voluntarily actions. On the other hand, the confiscatory tax system is something of which he approves because he's patriotic.

I suppose if you really think that the people paying the vast majority of the taxes use the tax code to "empowers the powerful to skip out on their tax burden," then this sort of nonsense makes sense to you.

I, on the other hand, am so patriotic that I don't mind paying taxes for the sorts of programs government is designed to do and cannot be done in the private sector. But then, I don't whine about my cable bill which I undertook voluntarily, either.