Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Bugs of Feminism 3.0

Ace of Spades has an absolutely dead-on analysis of what he calls "Feminism 3.0," which is the Amanda Marcotte version. That version is dedicated to the idea of non-procreational sex as a right and also as a way of sticking it to The Patriarchy.

Of course, the idea of women determined not to hold men responsible for pregnancy, and not expecting men to want marriage and children to get sex, is virtually every frat boy's dream, isn't it? I mean, wasn't that one of the arguments feminists used to use, that men saw women simply as "objects" and that women wanted men to "take responsibility"?

I guess I missed the point where feminism became a parody of itself. Just read virtually any Amanda Marcotte post (start with this one, which, I suppose, Amanda thinks is a terrific comeback! to Ace's post) and you will see the argument: (1) Men think women are dirty, (2) Sex is fun, (3) Have sex with men but then abort any babies, thus sticking it to Teh Man.

Of course, this illogic doesn't take into account how many women actually become invested very early in pregnancy, or how many women actually think sex means something and isn't just a biological function we fulfill like monkeys. In fact, Amanda's favorite comeback, if you happen to cross her, is something along the lines of, "I'll be sure to think of that while I'm screwing my boyfriend."

Well, no offense, but, as I wrote in the comments of a Marcotte post, I don't think about her when I'm having sex. And the assumption that non-procreational sex is some great putdown to men just reminds me of Lucy and Ethel trying to put one over on the boys.