Thursday, November 16, 2006

Emmitt Wins!

I was thrilled as we watched Emmitt Smith win last night's Dancing with the Stars finale.

The hunky, dimpled Lopez was generally regarded as the series most dynamic celebrity dancer, but the public's vote, the deciding factor after the contestants had tied in the judges' tally at Tuesday's final dance-off, brought Smith the victory.

"It is awesome! It is awesome!" declared Smith, after hugging his professional dance partner Cheryl Burke. "We came a long way, we really have."

I must admit I've been a bit amused at the slightly sour grapes I've seen on Smith's victory over Saved by the Bell's Mario Lopez. It's not been a lot, just things like that first graf talking about Lopez was "generally regarded" as the series' best dancer. And what isn't in the story was Karina Smirnoff's comment after Smith's victory: "I'll always think of Mario as the best" or something to that effect.

I can understand her (and Mario's disappointment). Mario was technically the best dancer. His moves were almost always right. But I was always more impressed with Emmitt, not just because I'm from the area, but because he was so entertaining. He's a very charming guy and he made the dancing look fun. For me, that's what made him the champ (well, that and the 45 votes my husband and I placed for Emmitt). It is, after all, Dancing with the Stars. And Emmitt had greater star power from the get-go. Even so, this was the most enjoyable and satisfying season I've seen to date. Congrats to everyone!