Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Say It with an Abortion E-Greeting

I heard about abortion e-cards while listening to the Michael Medved Show today.

Medved interviewed Aspen Baker, one of the founders of an after-abortion counseling group called Exhale. Exhale's purpose is to provide counseling for women after abortions who need it. The e-greetings are the group's way of helping people send messages to women after their abortions. Here are a couple of examples:

I want you to know that I care--
About you, and how you are feeling.
My thoughts are with you.

There's also this:
I think you're strong, smart, thoughtful and caring.
I believe in you and your ability to make the best decision.
I think you did the right thing.

There are religious cards ("my prayers are with you") and spiritual ones.

But, honestly, greeting cards for abortion? It all seems a little creepy to me.

Baker made some interesting points on Medved's show. She explained that they reach out to women who might be reluctant to go to traditional post-abortion counseling.

In this 2002 feature at Women's eNews, Baker explained how Exhale came into existence.
With most of the attention of pro-choice activists absorbed in preserving the option and anti-abortion groups focused in preventing abortions from occurring, little attention has been paid to the emotional aftercare that may be required, Baker says.

"When I got my abortion, I was really mad at the feminists," Baker says. "'You gave me this choice--great! But then I'm on my own afterwards? What's up with that?'"

What's up with that is that pro-choicers want to pretend that abortion is just a 20-minute procedure. In fact, the Pandagonistas were furious when I accurately quoted them.

As much as I might think abortion e-greetings is weird, I respect the job Exhale is doing, recognizing that abortion has long-term consequences that a fair number of women need help dealing with. It's certainly more than the supposed "pro-choice" community typically offers.