Friday, September 19, 2008

Last Night, I Dreamed about My Father

I have a philosophy, or theory, if you will, that my parents, now dead, visit me in my dreams.

My mother did this with some regularity for years. In the last year, not so much.

But since my father died last March, I haven't had many dreams with him, and the ones I had were not so great. He seemed sad or quiet or not well.

But this dream was different. He was the man I knew. He was cheery and chatty, joking around with all of us and playing with his grandchildren.

In the dream, I was talking to my sister after he'd left and I told her he was doing much better. "Didn't eat much, but I'll have to work on that," I said. Then it slowly dawned on me that my father wasn't living anymore...

Then I woke up.

I don't really know what dreams mean, and I'm sure there are some Christians who would tell me that it was all just a figment of my imagination because that's not what our religion tells us. But that just doesn't seem right to me.

Maybe he is better now and happy again. And that's what the dream meant.