Saturday, September 06, 2008

The Dumbest Rumor Yet

The dumbest rumor put out by the KOS kids has to be that Sarah Palin called Barack Obama "Sambo." Does anyone even speak that way anymore?



When I was a kid, there was a chain of restaurants called Sambo's. The food wasn't bad, and Denny's always reminded me of it (except for the kid holding pancakes and the tiger). But that kid wasn't black. When I was in about second grade, I remember us learning the story of Little Black Sambo. But both are ancient memories from a different place and time, and neither made me think worse of black people. I certainly didn't know any black people that resembled anyone in any of those stories. But it's inconceivable that anyone would use the term "Sambo" for a political candidate anymore. Unless you're a Democrat, that is.

It's well-known that Democrats think all Republicans are racists (not even the closet variety). But my understanding is that the GOP is all into code words and dog whistles about Barack Obama. Or has that changed? Wasn't that the problem with the "Celebrity" ad? It's so hard to keep up with these racism charges.