Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Another Angry Woman for McCain/Palin

I heard Hugh Hewitt's show tonight while out running errands. Hugh is having a "women only" week for call-ins, and the women calling in were fascinating. Young and old, Democrat and Republican, they all had a reaction not unlike my own to the Palin-bashing of the last five days: enough is enough.

I really haven't minded the questions about Palin's professional life and her fitness to be vice president. But I have to admit that I felt extremely uneasy when the KOS kids did their dirty work about Palin's baby, then the revelations about Bristol Palin's pregnancy. I kept wondering what the hell was wrong with people that they would do that to the kids?

I'm all for keeping the family out of the bashing. Heck, I'd settle for leaving the kids out. Isn't that what the Clintonistas screamed about Chelsea jokes? Al Gore's son acted up and the story was a one- or two-day affair and that was it. But the Bush twins have always been targets and now Palin's kiddoes seem to be fair game to people who should know better.

This morning, I saw a picture of Bristol Palin's fiance, Levi Johnston. He looked like half the teenagers I know. How must it feel not only to be facing fatherhood, but having a vicious and vindictive feeding frenzy going on about you in the press? This is a guy who isn't even related (at least, not yet) to the future vice president. Shouldn't there be some sort of protection for those people?

I just finished watching Sarah Palin give her acceptance speech and it was absolutely wonderful. It was funny where it needed to be and substantive where it needed to be. My favorite passage:

But when the cloud of rhetoric has passed ... when the roar of the crowd fades away ... when the stadium lights go out, and those Styrofoam Greek columns are hauled back to some studio lot - what exactly is our opponent's plan?

That was wonderfully wicked. :)

UPDATE: Megyn Kelly eviscerates the Us Weekly editor for their Palin smear story in this video: