Saturday, May 09, 2009

I Agree with Barack Obama...Twice

Can the Second Coming be far away?

First, I agree with President Obama regarding credit card reform. It's one thing when a credit card company raises your fees for abusing your limit. It's another thing for a credit card company to raise your fees because you used another credit card.

I know the free market argument here: credit card companies should be allowed to function as they please. If you don't like the fees, don't use the card. And while I can agree with that logic, I can't justify rate hikes because you used a different card or the company's "marketing strategy changed." I don't use credit cards much (we have 2 or 3, I think, but don't use them very often), but I really don't feel like being punished when I choose to.

The second thing I agree with is Obama's flip-flop on military commissions. Trying terrorists in federal court was never a wise decision, and it's good to see Obama has come to his senses on this one.