Thursday, August 28, 2008

Why Did Nancy Pelosi Try to Take on the Catholic Church?

I'm not Catholic. I was a Baptist as a kid and have been a Presbyterian my entire adult life, so I understand the whole Protestant thing. But Catholics? Eh, my best friend in middle school was Catholic and I've been to a Catholic wedding, but that's about it.

What I do know about the Catholic Church is that they don't believe in abortion. Period. I don't even have to talk to Catholics to know that. I just have to go to any moonbat website to know that the Catholic Church takes a really hard stand on abortion.

That's why I didn't understand Nancy Pelosi trying to say that no, the Church didn't have a stance and that there was disagreement. In case she missed it, here's an article which quotes the official Catholic Church stance on abortion repeatedly.

But whether or not parishioners choose to accept it, the theology on the procedure is clear. From its earliest days, Christianity has considered abortion evil.

"This teaching has remained unchanged and remains unchangeable," according to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. "Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law."

I know there are plenty of Catholics who disagree with the Church's teachings on abortion and contraception. The answer there is clear: become a Protestant.

As a Protestant, you can go through the buffet line and find a denomination that fits all your ideas and understandings about God and stuff. But you can't just decide that you want to reject church teachings but remain in the church. Talk about an exercise in futility.