Friday, August 22, 2008

Feminist Hypocrisy in Action

I'm still waiting for Amanda Marcotte to ride to my defense against the sexism in the comment thread of this post, in which a commenter called me a "skank" because I disagree with him politically.

This sort of ranks right up there with the time Jeromy Brown called me a drunk bitch because he couldn't make a coherent argument.

I like when liberal commenters on liberal blogs let the mask slip. For all that I might disagree with far-left feminists, I do agree with them that misogyny still exists and is on display on a daily basis. The amusing part is when supposedly enlightened people from the Left are the ones displaying the anti-woman behavior. Doesn't it ever occur to them that if being called a slut for espousing feminist thought is wrong, then it is equally wrong to be called a slut for espousing conservative views?

This isn't the first time I've run across this sort of thing on lefty blogs. But it is the first time I've seen the moderator of a blog not address the issue by reprimanding the person who did it. Even when I was called a gold-plated bitch on wheels at Echidne's site, Echidne herself told the commenter to chill out.

The funniest part about this behavior is that, left or right, the person who does it always tries to find some excuse for letting the misogyny slip. Take this:

Besides which, I thought we decided that Sharon was definitely male

Oh, now THAT makes all the difference! I hear lots of men call other men "skanks." But the excuse-making got better:
Definitions of skanky on the Web...

You know someone has no argument when they have to resort to dictionary definitions to excuse their behavior. But wait! There was more!
Please come to Chicago. We’ll eat your lunch, stupid cobag.

*sigh* I thought liberals didn't believe in violence to solve differences? And Chicago can't defend itself against one widdle woman? What's wrong with these people.

On the record, I saw two different commenters condemn Mr. Skank. But Jesse Taylor didn't. I guess he was too busy writing up an invoice to the Obama campaign for all his cheerleading. Not a word from Amanda Marcotte, who usually is quick to tell everyone where the misogyny is apparent. Not Pam Spaulding, who thought teachers being allowed to carry guns will lead to shootouts at fire drills (I kid you not). Auguste? Nope.

It's always good to point out the consistency problems liberals have.