Friday, July 13, 2007

Six Degrees of Separation from The 10th Kingdom

The 10th Kingdom is one of my all-time favorite movies (actually a mini-series). I don't know why I love that movie so much; it's goofy and somewhat predictable and spoofs fantasy movies. Maybe that's why I love it: it doesn't take itself too seriously.

We are a serious 10th Kingdom family. For about a year, we watched it at least twice a month...and that's a 7 1/2-hour commitment each time. For a long time, whenever we asked our youngest daughter what she wanted to watch, she always asked for The 10th Kingdom.

Our 10th Kingdom obsession has faded a little after four years, but my son still periodically puts it in the DVD player before bedtime, and I watch it several times a year by myself when everybody else is off doing their thing.

After so many watchings, you can bet we know our 10th Kingdom and where all the actors ended up (Kimberly Williams who played Virginia, for example, now stars on According to Jim), so you can bet we recognize 10th Kingdomers wherever they are. Imagine my surprise, then, when I recognized a couple of them in the Harry Potter movies.

--Warwick Davis, who played Acorn in 10th Kingdom, is Professor Flitwick.

--Robert Hardy, who played Chancellor Griswold in 10th Kingdom, is Cornelius Fudge in the Harry Potter movies.

It's always fun to see actors in different roles from the ones in which you know them best. I wasn't prepared to find The 10th Kingdom in Harry Potter, though! :)