Friday, July 13, 2007

Life without a Computer

You never know how much you use your computer until you lose access to it. That's what happened to me this week when we decided to do a huge spring (summer?) cleaning and get almost all the carpets cleaned. To do that, it meant unplugging the computers and putting everything away for a couple of days. And, being the procrastinators we are, it took a couple of extra days to get everything back in place.

Some random thoughts:

1. You can't check your Netflix account without a computer.

2. It's less convenient to request books from the library if you don't have a computer (it's also impossible to check the status of your requests without a computer if the library is closed).

3. You can't look up the starting times for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix without a computer (unless you go get a newspaper).

4. You can't go to imdb.com to find out the name of that actor in The Godfather without a computer.

I know you can do some of these things without a computer. I could call the movie theater to see what time Harry Potter starts, and I could go to the library to request a book. But doing these things online is so much easier. It's amazing how much the internet has altered the everyday tasks we perform.

Last but not least, I couldn't blog for most of the week and that, I confess, drove me nuts (and finally resulted in my shangaiing my teenager to help me put the computers back together). Glad to be back! :)