Sunday, July 01, 2007

The Price of Beauty

How much do you spend per year on beauty? I'll admit, I'm pretty light on it. I color my hair about 2-3 a year (maybe more if we can afford it) for $60. I get my eyebrows waxed maybe 4 times a year at 10 bucks a pop. My haircuts average about $40, and I only do that about 4 to 5 times a year. Shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, maybe $100 a year. And makeup? Don't make me laugh. So, all in all, I spend maybe $600 a year on beauty.

That's still less than
Nancy Nall, who gets her hair colored a bit more often than I do. But neither of us holds a candle to this woman.

Every other day: hair blown out, 45 minutes, $65 Twice a week: personal trainer, one hour, $80 Twice a week: eyebrow waxing, five minutes, $30 Twice a week: thigh treatment, 45 minutes, $125 Weekly: hiking with trainer, two hours, $150 Weekly: Zone Diet food delivery, $250 Twice a month: pedicure (with manicure), one hour, $40 Twice a month: facial, one hour, $160 Twice a month: massage, one hour, $125 Several times a month: makeup and eyelash application, $145 Monthly: photo facial, 15 minutes, $500 Every six weeks: hair color, two hours, $450 Every three months: hair cut, 45 minutes, $140 Twice a year: Botox and Restylane, one hour, $1,000

Getting your eyebrows waxed twice a week? Having your hair "blown out" (sounds painful) every other day?

This regimen makes me wonder if this woman has a life outside of the spa. I guess she's never run down to the Whataburger in her slippers with her hair stuck in 2 ponytails, wearing a baggy T-shirt and sweats, huh?

I find this obsession with looks to be disturbing, particularly for 40-year-olds. I mean, I always thought that there came a point in life where who I was inside was more important than how I looked outside (not to mention the effects of gravity and age on a person!). Wasn't that the point of feminism? That we were "more than a sum of our parts"?

Somebody missed that lesson and now we have a world of people obsessed with looks more than ever. And while I don't believe, like Amanda, that everything goes back to misogyny, I do think that waxing till you're infected is both disgusting and disturbing. And the idea that a person would spend fully $55k a year on "beauty" is, as well.