Saturday, July 14, 2007

Harry Potter Book 7

I came to Harry Potter mania very, very, very, very late.

As in last month.

I had studiously avoided reading any of the books or watching any of the movies (well, ok, I did see Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone about 14 times, but that was only because the kids played it almost as much as 10th Kingdom.

Don't ask me what finally made me decide to catch up. My husband and father-in-law have been wild fans for years, and even my oldest daughter has seen all the movies. But for some reason, I decided I wanted to catch up before the release of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. So, I spent the month of June reading all six novels, then watching the four movies in anticipation of the latest movie and book.

I will confess I'm now hooked. So, imagine my joy at reading some Harry Potter speculation on the Volokh Conspiracy. That post led me to HogwartsProfessor.com, possibly the most amazing Harry Potter site I've seen.

We are planning to go to the local Barnes & Noble for the release of the last book. My husband will read it cover to cover as soon as we get home, then I'll read it (and, since I'm a slow reader, it will probably take me two or three days). After that, we have a contest we will be settling.

I told my husband to write down all his predictions for book 7 before we get it, and I will do the same. Then, after I've finished the book, we'll compare and see how we did.

I've already seen some of my theories supported both at the Volokh post and at HogwartsProfessor.com. I won't go into any details about my theories until after I read the book, however, so that we don't spoil anything for anyone who hasn't finished it. But I'd love to hear other people's theories at that point. :)