Thursday, October 23, 2008

Violence Against McCain Supporters?

Ok, it's getting ridiculous. It's just a political campaign, people. After the election, we all have to accept the new president, regardless of whether we voted for that candidate.

We have stories of campaign signs being defaced and destroyed, which is nothing particularly new. In some parts of the country, it's just part of election time to go rip up your opponent's signs.

But add to that cars being vandalized and it gets less funny.

Now it's getting serious. with campaign supporters being assaulted and carved up because they support John McCain.

This is frightening and shameful. We, as a country, are better than this behavior. There's no excuse for it. We can't blame Barack Obama. We can't blame John McCain. We can't blame Sarah Palin or Joe Biden.

I shouldn't have to say this, but supporting your candidate does not include the right to assault your opponents.

UPDATE: Michelle Malkin and others are skeptical that the woman was marked by her assailant.

If I’m wrong, I’ll apologize. If I’m right, will this woman?

Frankly, I'd be relieved if it were a hoax. There has been enough violence and assault in this campaign season to justify fear about it.

UPDATE x2: Police say the carving is a hoax. I had linked to the story before I saw the picture. Once I saw it I started having that "Hmm" feeling, but given other random acts of violence, I let it slide. Now I can say that not only is it sick to do this to yourself, but it damages every other person who has, in fact, been assaulted for being a McCain supporter. Shame, shame, shame.