Tuesday, October 07, 2008

A Post You Won't Find on Any Most Liberal Sites

I don't think liberals, Democrats, or leftwingers are evil. And I don't think they hate America, either.

I don't agree with their worldview, nor do I think their ideas are helpful, but that doesn't mean I think they do things in an attempt to destroy our country.

Ever since Dana wrote this post stating that Democrats are not evil, I've been doing some thinking on the subject, as reflected in my own post on the subject. And I suppose this question is bothering me more and more when I read lefty blogs these days.

For example, The News Writer said that Sarah Palin "hates America" because she was a member of the Alaska Independence Party. Except she wasn't. And even though News Writer tries to say that she didn't say Palin was a member of AIP (" I said their vice chairman said she was"), NW does, in fact say, "And I don’t believe that Sarah Palin wasn’t a member of AIP."

That's just a single dose of the nuttiness on News Writer's blog, where she says things then says, "I didn't say that! I said so-and-so said it!" even when it's obvious that she is agreeing with whatever sentiment has been expressed.

But really, if I can admit that Democrats aren't evil and they don't hate America, why can't the Left do the same? It's not really that hard, is it, to realize that you can disagree on politics or religion without thinking your opponents are Satan?

I'm sadly coming to the conclusion that perhaps it is impossible for the Left to look at conservatives as anything other than evil thugs bent on destroying the world who should be rounded up and shot.

Because if you supported tighter regulation of Fannie and Freddie, you are racist.

Because if you think babies in the womb should be protected, you hate women.
Because if you think raising taxes is bad at any time but particularly in a weak economy and giving "tax breaks" (which aren't tax breaks but hush money) to people who don't pay taxes, you hate poor people.

Because if you think traditional morals provide the most stability for a society, you hate everybody!

Unlike, say, the Pandagonistas, I don't assume that my political opponents are evil, stupid or demented. But the more I read from liberal sites, the more I am starting to question my own assumptions.