Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Poor Kathleen Parker

Kathleen Parker, syndicated columnist, is in full lecture mode after receiving hateful e-mails regarding a recent column suggesting that Sarah Palin should resign as V.P. candidate because she's "out of her league."

Allow me to introduce myself. I am a traitor and an idiot. Also, my mother should have aborted me and left me in a dumpster, but since she didn't, I should "off" myself.

Those are a few nuggets randomly selected from thousands of e-mails written in response to my column suggesting that Sarah Palin is out of her league and should step down.


Let me start by saying that it is unacceptable to say the world would be better off without people like you (see comment 27). It's wrong to wish death on people or argue that their mother's should have exercised the right to choose. Believe me, I've had both arguments thrown at me, along with one guy that described in shocking detail how great it would be to rape me (the site has since been pulled down). And I'm not even a syndicated columnist. I'm sure my personal experience is miniscule compared with the hate mail Parker received.

But having said that, we live in an internet age where suggesting someone go kill themselves seems to be an acceptable form of discourse. A decade or two ago, a columnist would have contacted the police if they had received random death threats. These days, all you have to do is open your e-mail.

I can't believe, though, that Parker wasn't prepared for any of this. She had to know that saying Sarah Palin was unfit for VPOTUS would anger a lot of people, not because Parker isn't entitled to her opinion, but because we are already hearing enough of this from the MSM and left. We don't expect to hear it from the right, as well.

But the fact is, the Left eats it up when conservatives bash Palin. And there's been plenty of it to go around.

As more polls find John McCain losing this thing, I am becoming resigned to the four-year disaster that will be an Obama administration. But Parker better be prepared for it, because if she is clutching her pearls about a few hateful e-mails, I can't wait for her reaction to the Obama Goon Squad preventing her from criticizing The One.