Thursday, October 02, 2008

Conversation with a Teenager

"Mama?"

"Yes, honey?"

"You--you have a sign in your front yard."

"Yes, I do."

"A John McCain sign."

"Yes, I do."

"Why?" *looks around nervously, hoping no one has noticed it.*

"Because we're voting for John McCain, dear."

"But why would you put a sign in the yard?"

At this point, I realize that high school civics must not have kicked in yet. "Haven't they taught you guys about supporting candidates during elections? People put out yard signs and go door to door canvassing for candidates. They man phone banks and solicit contributions. It's part of our great American political system."

*Teenager squirms in her seat but remains silent*

I go in the house to get something and tell husband about the conversation. Daughter is still sitting in the car, waiting to go out. He smirks, then says, "Did you tell her that there's a John McCain bumper sticker on the back of the car?"

"No."

*from outside* "Mama!"

I look at husband. "I think she knows."