Sunday, December 31, 2006

"her un-wingnutlike desire for conciliation"

More unbiased reporting from the New York Times. The above quote is from a story about Patricia Heaton, who played Ray Romano's wife in Everybody Loves Raymond.

The article is about the rough time Heaton has had finding good roles since the show ended two years ago. Reporter Jesse Green says that Heaton's outspoken conservatism, her honorary chairmanship of Feminists for Life, and her appearance in an anti-stem cell research ad have made life rougher than usual for the actress.

The Internet floodgates opened. Web sites weighed in on "Fox v. Heaton" and generally eviscerated her. On YouTube.com, April Winchell, a California radio personality, posted a 38-second remix of Ms. Heaton’s clip. It starts out saying, "I’m Patricia Heaton, and I’m a religious zealot who thinks she knows what’s best for everybody" and gets uglier from there: "I could give you the whole story, but I’d rather beat you over the head with my Bible. And besides it’s not like stem-cell research makes you look younger. I mean, if it did, I’d be all over it."

That was in reference to Heaton's plastic surgery after having four children.

The "un-wingnutlike desire for conciliation" comment comes directly after this paragraph. I guess Green assumes "wingnuts," the perjorative term liberals give for conservatives, don't like conciliation. If he thinks narrow-mindedness and harsh criticism are the sole property of the right, I guess he didn't get to this take on his Heaton story. I'd like to think he'd say it was an example of the "typical moonbat desire for division, hostility, and argument," but I'm not sure he'd actually notice it.