Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Jerry Falwell Dies...and Liberals Show Some of that Compassion They Are So Well Known For

I was just about to post on Jerry Falwell's death when I happened to look at Common Sense Political Thought where Dana beat me to it. Dana brings up the typical moonbat vitriol of Amanda "I'm sorry if I offended anyone" Marcotte.

What is it with liberals wanting everyone they disagree with to die?

I mean, we have nutroots at the Huffington Post who were upset Dick Cheney wasn't killed.

We have Julianne Malveaux who wanted Justice Clarence Thomas to die because--gasp!--he was conservative.

There was Nina Totenberg, who wanted Jesse Helms to get AIDS and die.

Al Franken joked about Scooter Libby being executed.

And there's other, lesser known liberal idiots like charlie Brooker of the Guardian who called for the assassination of President Bush.

I'm all for free speech, but is there some particular reason so many on the left can't be polite about death? I mean, even Atrios, with whom I disagree about 99.999999999999999999999999999999% of the time was polite.

What to say? Obviously sympathies to those who cared for him. Many undeserving people have good people around them. It's hard to have sympathies for those who fault other victims for their tragedies...

He lived a decent-length, if not long, life. One hopes he finds that his God is a more forgiving being than he believed.

It's not that there's something wrong with pointing out things Falwell said with which one disagrees (his remark about AIDS being God's punishment for homosexuality, for instance, or that 9/11 was God's retribution for feminism, homosexuality, etc.). I consider that to be an honest assessment. But is it rational--not to even mention normal--for someone to say
The gates of hell swing open and Satan welcomes his beloved son

I suppose such childish "cleverness" is to be expected of the person who issued a fake apology in a vain attempt to keep her job with the John Edwards campaign. But it's nice to know that 1 in a million lefties can actually leave a more mature post for an obituary.