Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Iranian Violence

I haven't written anything about the rioting and violence in Iran, partly out of fascination and horror (it's a horrific thing to watch), partly because I wanted to get more information so I wouldn't just be reacting emotionally, and partly because I wanted to see what President Obama would do.

I'm disappointed and a little afraid because Obama's nothing-doing shows a spinelessness even I didn't think he was capable of. I'm not saying we should bomb Iran, send armies there, or anything like that. But George W. Bush would have, at the very least, made a statement in support of democratic elections and government tolerance for peaceful dissent. It's not like that should be too hard to give, should it?

We knew Ahmedinajad would accuse the U.S. of "meddling," regardless of what we did or didn't do, so that really shouldn't have been a consideration. But what we're getting from Teh One is worse, IMO, than Jimmy Carter. I say this not in the political sense, but in a more realistic one. Why is our president so spineless? It's embarrassing.

UPDATE: Interesting developments, including the fact that Obama has finally spoken. Gee, that didn't take too long...

Here is the President's statement.