Sunday, June 07, 2009

The Dangers of Pseudonymous Blogging

You piss somebody off, they'll out you.

As I told Ed (to no avail), I have blogged under a pseudonym largely for private and professional reasons. Professionally, I’ve heard that pre-tenure blogging (particularly on politics) can cause problems. And before that, I was a lawyer with real clients. I also believe that the classroom should be as nonpolitical as possible – and I don’t want conservative students to feel uncomfortable before they take a single class based on my posts. So I don’t tell them about this blog. Also, I write and research on telecom policy – and I consider blogging and academic research separate endeavors. This, frankly, is a hobby.

Privately, I don’t write under my own name for family reasons. I’m from a conservative Southern family – and there are certain family members who I’d prefer not to know about this blog (thanks Ed). Also, I have family members who are well known in my home state who have had political jobs with Republicans, and I don’t want my posts to jeopardize anything for them (thanks again).

I think the truth is that John used a pseudonym for his blogging so that anything he wrote, however intemperate, wouldn't come back to bite him on the ass. That's usually why people do it. And, yes, John, conservative students are going to take one look at your blog posts and alter their answers to fit your world view. Because law school exams are totally subjective. I once gave a pro-choice supportive answer to a law school exam question because the teacher was pro-choice. She said she was "disappointed," but only a fool would stick her head in that lion's mouth.

As for the friends and family stuff, it's understandable that he wants to hide his hobby. I don't discuss my blogging with people I know in real life (although my husband has "outed" me accidentally), largely because many of my friends are liberal and I don't feel like either arguing with them or defending my political views at a barbecue or school play. Remember: you don't discuss politics or religion in polite company.

There are plenty of reasons people use pseudonyms for posting and commenting on the internet, but John Blevins doesn't have the primary one I do: as a woman, you face special threats and danger when your name is released. Both Amanda Marcotte and Michelle Malkin have experienced and written about it. His personal or professional embarrassment pales by comparison.

UPDATE: Ed Morrissey chimes in with a few choice responses to the crisis du jour.

I guess my post left a lot to be desired opinion-wise. I disagree with outting people. Period. If a person wants his information known, he'll do so. And sometimes, the information comes out innocently (like my husband proudly telling friends about my blog). But unless the person is committing a crime of some sort, I just can't see the justification.