Monday, November 17, 2008

The New Tolerance How Not to Show Tolerance and Respect



I'm not sure why any group would think they could go into a gay neighborhood and try to convert homosexuals to heterosexuals, particularly after the passage of Prop 8. It just seems to me that emotions are so high that it doesn't take much--even just prayer and singing--to rile people up and start fights.

Having said that, I've watched street ministers work hostile crowds on college campuses and it's amazing to me that there are people willing to take such abuse on the off chance that someone will listen and change his or her mind and behavior. In any event, this one didn't go too well.

UPDATE: I've changed the title to this post to reflect my opinion that, while I don't condone harassment and assault, going into a well-known homosexual neighborhood right after Prop 8 passed wasn't merely a dumb thing to do. It was a highly disrespectful thing and was probably designed to get the results shown on the video.