Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Start

This video outlines the Southwest-to-Northeast-Rail corridor that is supposed to be operational by 2013 (I'll believe that when I see it.)



The rail line goes through some of the heaviest populated parts of the city and can take people to the airport, as well, which is a big plus. But this is only a start. It isn't particularly useful for me because the stations are nowhere near where I live, and I'm not sure how close they are to places people really shop. If Tarrant County adds buses around these stations, it might be more helpful, but I'm not certain what the plans are.

Certainly, Fort Worth and Dallas desperately need transportation alternatives to cars. The roads that have been planned are toll roads (I won't use those) and most people are not going to be happy with that. The current freeway system is completely inadequate for handling the traffic, and that will only get worse with time.

This is a good and exciting first start for mass transit here.