Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Congratulations to Barack Obama

I was not and am not a Barack Obama fan, but he will now be my president and so I hope he does well. I'm also happy for him because, in the shadow of his grandmother's death, his victory is some comfort.

Having said that, I agree with Dana, who said:

Our friends on the left gave President Bush no peace, no room, made no attempt to give the man a chance. They hated him for his win in 2000, and hated him even more in 2004. In the end, they got him in the 2006 elections, and finished the job tonight. While we ought to be politer than the left, we should still follow their lead, and give Mr Obama no peace, and no room to maneuver, as little freedom of action as possible.

We won’t win all of the battles, and probably will lose far more than we win. But when Bill Clinton, who ran as a moderate, took a hard left turn in 1993 and 1994, guerrilla conservatism spanked him hard in 1994; that’s what we need to try again.

Tomorrow, I will contact my local Republican Party and start working on 2010. My hope is that the GOP will reassess what has happened and change in positive ways.

But "President Obama" still makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

UPDATE: John McCain's concession speech shows what a class act he is.

UPDATE: Compare and contrast Barack Obama's loooong and rather boring speech. I know that (a) Obama gets the right to bask in the limelight a bit and (b) some people like this kind of thing, but my bet is a lot of people are going to be rolling their eyes at Obama's Baptist-minister style delivery before his first year in office is over. His speech is typically in passive voice ("A wall has come down" as opposed to "We took this wall down") which is a weak form. Some of his speech was very good; the parts where he talked about healing rifts and becoming more bipartisan. And he had especially kind words to say about John McCain. Too bad it doesn't go with the campaign he waged.