Monday, September 17, 2007

Will Somebody Please Tell These People They Aren't Paid for Their Political Views?

I realize this isn't a new complaint, but the news that has-been Barry Manilow (I didn't know he was still alive) backed out of a scheduled appearance on The View because he finds Elisabeth Hasselbeck's political opinions to be "dangerous" leaves me wanting to tell him to shut the hell up.

Maybe The View just can't draw an audience without the drama. I'm sure (although I haven't checked) the ratings dropped after raving lunatic Rosie O'Donnell left the show.

But I must confess that I for one wish all the performers would just shut up and perform. I'm waiting for the brave journalist willing to ask Sally Field, Barry Manilow, Elton John, Sean Penn, and any other performer why anybody should care about their political opinions? What makes them experts? The fact that they make a gazillion dollars because they can cry on cue or hit high C?

I can't even watch a movie with Alex "Let's stone Henry Hyde" Baldwin in it anymore (unless it's Team America...and it's not even him playing him). Is it asking too much for these celebrities to keep their political opinions to themselves?