Thursday, February 01, 2007

More Ethical Behavior from the New York Times

How would you like to see your son or daughter, a soldier in the U.S. military, die on the streets of Baghdad?

What if it were a photograph published in the New York Times, or a video of him/her dying was published on their website?

I can't write what I might think about doing to the person(s) who approved this. I can't even imagine my pain and suffering if this were to happen to me. Fortunately, my children are all too young to become subject matter to increase subscriptions at the NYT.

But the same can't be said for Domingo and Manuela Leija, whose son was featured in a NYT story in print and on the website...before they were notified of his death.

Michelle Malkin has a column detailing the event, including the rules journalists must adhere to when they are in Iraq.

The Times has covered this up, removing the offending material from their website, but the damage is done. And the Times has said it will send a "letter of regret" to the family. But my question is, why didn't they bother to think about the family before they ran this material? Or maybe they agree with William Arkin that it doesn't matter about the feelings of the family of the "intolerant and arrogant few."