Sunday, January 06, 2008

UK Living Standard Outstrips U.S.?

I read this story that, for the first time since the 19th Century, the U.K.'s living standard outstrips the U.S.'s, with one cocked eyebrow.

I've been to Great Britain several times to visit relatives (most recently in 1991), and I would question what is meant exactly by "living standard." My relatives lived in cramped houses with tiny appliances (including refrigerators, TVs, and washer/dryers), drove tiny cars, and paid huge prices for gasoline and heating oil. It wasn't living in poverty, but I think Americans still have a higher standard of living. And I will admit that 16 years is a long time since my last visit (I hope to remedy that soon).

So, what is buoying the British accendency? A weak dollar mainly. The study quoted says that the U.K.'s slim lead over the U.S. evaporates if the dollar strengthens. Counted in the living standard are "longer holidays" and "free" healthcare (the kind we've discussed before).

Americans do work more hours than other countries. That's just a fact. But I'll take my American lifestyle, with its large house, electronics, and nice car, over the "free" healthcare in Britain.