Saturday, January 27, 2007

Why Can't They Answer a Simple Question?

I've been watching the comments over at Common Sense Political Thought to this post by me. The results, sad though they are, are not surprising.

The post (I also posted it here), is about a Fox News poll that asked the simple question Do you personally want the Iraq plan President Bush announced last week to succeed?

For more than 100 posts, the trolls on that site have bent themselves into pretzels not to answer it.

It's sad, really, when a person can't answer a simple question either "yes" or "no," but I shouldn't be surprised by now that our friends on the Left can't bring themselves to agree with any policy from conservatives. As Nick Cohen said in an article I discussed at this post, the Left's reflexive anti-Americanism trumps any of the traditional liberal positions such as opposition to fascism. Nowhere have I seen such dogged determination to cling to that anti-Americanism as was displayed in that post.

I (and others) asked repeatedly for the trolls to answer the question. Time and again, they responded that the war was already "lost" and therefore it was a "stupid question." It's strange to me that they couldn't give a simple answer to a "stupid question" but chose instead to try to change the subject at every turn.

I knew this would happen, of course, because I've seen it before. Specifically, there was this post at Patterico's Pontifications that convinced me of the dishonesty of the left. The question posed: Who is the bigger enemy? Osama bin Laden? Or George W. Bush?

Amazingly, there were a number of trolls there who simply couldn't bring themselves to say that Osama bin Laden was the bigger enemy (Aphrael was one of the few who did).

Let me make this clear: there are times I disagree with American policy, both domestic and foreign. Sometimes I think it is politically wrong. Sometimes I think it is morally wrong. Sometimes I think it is legally wrong. But at no time would I ever hesitate to state that Osama bin Laden is the bigger enemy and that I want the U.S. to win in Iraq.

And it wasn't even painful.