Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Why I Think America Still Isn't Ready for a Woman President

When I saw the picture of Hillary Clinton that had been posted on the Drudge Report, my first thought was, "Oh, brother. More proof Americans aren't mature enough to have a woman president."

I've made this argument for years. In our perfection- (specifically, female perfection-) obsessed society, a woman will have a more difficult time being elected president. I don't say this because Americans think women are incapable of handling the office. I say it because Americans can't stop discussing hairstyles, clothing sizes (including whether a First Lady is pear-shaped), and now wrinkles. Now, even Rush Limbaugh is discussing the American obsession with physical perfection.

Guess what, people? Everybody gets wrinkles when they age. And Hillary Clinton in 60 years old. Frankly, I thought she didn't look bad for her age.

Such furor over wrinkles angers me not only because of its inanity but because it supports feminist notions of our sexist society. First we have Jennifer Love Hewitt's butt and now we have to discuss whether a 60-year-old woman should have wrinkles. It drives me bonkers.

I have no respect for people who are so looks-obsessed, both those who participate in Botox and lip injections and the audience that comments on it. If you don't agree with Hillary Clilnton's policies or ideas (and I don't), then fine. But don't discount Hillary because she has wrinkles.