Friday, December 14, 2007

Does Drug Use Disqualify One for President?

It's always amusing when I find myself agreeing with lefties, but I agree with Blue Texan at Firedoglake about the sleezy innuendos issuing from the Hillary Clinton camp about Barak Obama's drug use.

IMO, we're about at the point in this country where past drug use is no longer a disqualifier for president. After Bill "I did not inhale" Clinton's presidency, I'm far more concerned with past behavior as a predictor of present behavior (bimbo erruptions) than I am with someone's drug use as a teenager.

Does this mean I approve of drug use? Absolutely not. I never tried anything (including "not inhaling"), so I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who have. But I'm also a realist and recognize that a sizable portion of the adult population has experimented with drugs, and as long as the POTUS isn't meeting his dealer at the backdoor to the White House, I'm not going to make too big a fuss. I'm only partly kidding here.

I have a lot of problems with Barak Obama, mainly everything he says and everything he does. I don't have to go digging around in his past to know I don't want to vote for him. Of course, the same goes for Hillary.