Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Now the Other One Resigns

Via Patterico's Pontifications, Melissa "Christofascist" McEwan has resigned from the John Edwards campaign.

I regret to say that I have also resigned from the Edwards campaign. In spite of what was widely reported, I was not hired as a blogger, but a part-time technical advisor, which is the role I am vacating.

I would like to make very clear that the campaign did not push me out, nor was my resignation the back-end of some arrangement made last week. This was a decision I made, with the campaign’s reluctant support, because my remaining the focus of sustained ideological attacks was inevitably making me a liability to the campaign, and making me increasingly uncomfortable with my and my family’s level of exposure.

There will be some who clamor to claim victory for my resignation, but I caution them that in doing so, they are tacitly accepting responsibility for those who have deluged my blog and my inbox with vitriol and veiled threats. It is not right-wing bloggers, nor people like Bill Donohue or Bill O’Reilly, who prompted nor deserve credit for my resignation, no matter how much they want it, but individuals who used public criticisms of me as an excuse to unleash frightening ugliness, the likes of which anyone with a modicum of respect for responsible discourse would denounce without hesitation.

I've only visited McEwen's site once or twice. It's more of the usual liberal blather. I do find it interesting that someone who talks about "Christofascists" would complain about abuse. I'm not advocating that people be obnoxious, rude, and scary when they post at moonbat sites, but I'm still trying to figure out why these people think they are immune from criticism when they put themselves out in public positions.

According to Patterico, Firedoglake has examples of the hate mail Amanda received. It's disgusting and has no place in reasonable discourse. Unfortuntely, Firedoglake (and other lefties, including Amanda) try to paint this as only a right-wing phenomenon. This, of course, is nonsense. Patterico concludes:
Ask Michelle Malkin, who has been the target of plenty of ugly hate herself. But it is just outrageous that anyone should have to put up with this kind of ugliness, and people of conscience on both sides of the aisle should easily be able to agree on this.

One would hope, but I doubt our friends on the left would be as quick to condemn such e-mails to Michelle Malkin.