Friday, February 09, 2007

Border Patrol Agents

I haven't written anything about the Texas border patrol agents who were sent to prison for shooting a drug smuggler, largely because I haven't known what to think of the case.

At first glance, I couldn't believe they were convicted for doing what I thought was the purpose of the border patrol: stop illegals (particularly really bad guys) from coming into the country.

But then I read that they hadn't filed the proper paperwork to report the incident, leading many to believe they were covering up malfeasance. At that point, I was less sympathetic to them.

Now, Patterico has a post about the situation, complete with more information about the lack of a written report. (Via Darleen).

But U.S. Border Patrol firearms policy specifically states that agents are prohibited from filing a report if a shooting incident takes place and that only an oral report to supervisors is required.

"Ensure that supervisory personnel or INS investigating officers are aware that employees involved in a shooting incident shall not be required or allowed to submit a written statement of the circumstances surrounding the incident," according to the firearms policy.

"All written statements regarding the incident shall be prepared by the local INS investigating officers and shall be based upon an interview of the INS employee."

That certainly undercuts the government's version of events and now I'm not sure what to think. I'm thinking these agents were doing what they were supposed to do.

I'm not sure what will happen in the case now, but these guys need to be segregated in prison, for sure, or they will be killed by more of the sorts of guys they were trying to prevent from entering the U.S.