Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Chocolate Crosses and Easter Bunnies

About a month ago, I was helping coordinate the Easter Egg Hunt at my church. We were picking out items from a catalog for the eggs, when I saw several references to chocolate crosses.

Evidently, chocolate crosses have been around for a while. I don't know how I missed this trend, but it doesn't set well with me. I don't mind chocolate Easter bunnies, chocolate eggs, chocolate M&Ms, but I draw the line at eating the crucifix.

Evidently, I'm not alone in my ambivalence.

However, not all Christians are happy about it. Chomping on a chocolate cross can be offensive to some, said Joseph McAleer, a spokesman for the Roman Catholic diocese in Bridgeport, Connecticut.

"The cross should be venerated, not eaten, nor tossed casually in an Easter basket beside the jelly beans and marshmallow Peeps," he said. "It's insulting."

Evidently, Russell Stover thought about marketing other forms but eventually rejected them.
Ward said Russell Stover considered making other traditional images out of chocolate but eventually opted not to.

"A molded Jesus, for example, would not be a good call and a cross with Jesus on it wouldn't be a good idea either," Ward said.

I wonder what their first clue was that this might be a bad idea?

I bring this up because of this poll at Bible Belt Blogger. If so many people are offended at chocolate crosses, who is buying them?

Cross-posted at Common Sense Political Thought.