Friday, April 25, 2008

Race Is The Most Important Issue

That's been Dana at Common Sense Political Thought's argument for months, and he does a terrific job of supporting that contention in this post.

I've resisted the idea that race would determine the outcome of our presidential elections. Perhaps that's because I've always been a little naive and a little idealistic when it comes to race in America. But when eight percent of (assumably white) Americans say they can't vote for a black person for president, then I guess I've been smacked with reality.

Don't get me wrong; I think Obama is a terrible candidate with terrible ideas which disqualify him from the presidency. I think his feckless domestic policy would raise taxes and harm private enterprise while his uninformed and naive foreign policy would put us in real danger. And my disgust at his association with bigot Jeremiah Wright isn't based on his race; it's based on his words, actions, and attitudes.

Dana argues that Obama can't win if eight percent of the American electorate has already written him off. As much as I hate to admit it, I think he might be right.